Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 6, 2011

THAI FOOD --WHAT WINE?

I planned an extraordinary Thai food dinner yesterday - chicken satay, pineapple fried rice, and a duck curry.  I made a big batch of sweet-sour cucumber relish because I love it with all the dishes.  Anyway - to my horror and wonder I found myself wineless.  What wine goes with all of this?  Certainly not a tannic red or my typical standby - champagne.  Then what?
I headed over to my favorite wine store for advice.  To my surprise The Wine Guy immediately responded with "Riesling."  I made the "ick" face.  "Are you kidding?  A semi sweet - (snivel, whimper, whine) wine??"  He walked me over to the rack while I listened to his pitch.  Mild sweet will counteract the spicy Thai food...

Reluctantly I accepted with a merlot back up plan.   I brought it home - and what was it?  A Rhein River Riesling, labeled:  bouquet of fresh peaches.  Sure... that's what they want me to taste...

BUT IT WORKED!  It was terrific.  A heavenly match.  I will recommend it and do it again in a hearbeat.  YUM.
Try it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment